Our BVI National Parks Trust Marine Parks Mooring Permit

Before arriving in the British Virgin Islands, we had read up on fees and procedures on Noonsite.com, in The Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands, and elsewhere. Everything mentions an additional BVI National Parks Trust Marine Parks Mooring Permit that you need in order to use the moorings in the BVI marine parks. These moorings are day-use only, but put you right on some of the best dive and snorkeling spots in the BVI. The annual fee for foreign vessels is $150. According to various sources, you can purchase the pass when you check into the country. This is all only partially true, as we found out.

When we checked in at Jost Van Dyke, I asked about the BVI National Parks Trust Marine Parks Mooring Permit. The customs officer told me that she could issue one-week passes, but we would need to go to Road Town to get the annual permit. The one-week pass is fifty dollars, so an annual permit seemed like a no-brainer; knowing we were not going to be using the NPT moorings immediately, I figured we would wait until we were in Road Town to get the permit.
Continue reading

Posted in Home Page, Jeff's Blog | Leave a comment

Our AIS Transceiver on Passage

Installing an automated identification system (AIS) – an AIS transceiver in particular – was a priority for us this spring. And although it took us until July, when we spent two weeks in the mooring field at Annapolis completing our spring projects, to finally take care of the installation, it has proved to be an important piece of gear on Bear.

While helping bring s/v Remedy down to the BVI in 2016, I recognized how useful their AIS transceiver was on passage. We could see big ships from nearly fifty miles off, long before most radar on small sailboats would have picked them up. And we also received the name of vessels, commercial and otherwise, which made hailing them to break up a long watch with a conversation or for more important safety concerns easy.
Continue reading

Posted in Home Page, Jeff's Blog | Leave a comment

Fixing a Furler to Get Out of Nanny Cay

We finally slipped the grip of Nanny Cay today. And it was only after a monumental effort this morning that we were able to get away.

When Felipe and I first arrived at Nanny Cay marina a day after we checked into the BVI at Jost, we were only planning on staying for three days. Flip and I would have the boat cleaned inside and out by the time Margaret arrived. Then the three of us would have an epic arrival banquet. On the second day of our stay, we would get some boat work and a day trip to Norman in before Felipe departed the following morning. That would still leave Margaret and I twenty-four hours to get some more jobs done before we slipped the dock lines and started hopping around the BVI.
Continue reading

Posted in Home Page, Jeff's Blog | Leave a comment

Passage to the BVI Overview

As many of you know, we completed our passage to the BVI a week ago, arriving in Great Harbour on Jost Van Dyke after 13 days from Hampton. We have spent most of the time since at Nanny Cay marina, cleaning and working on Bear, recovering from the trip, and simply relaxing. Margaret arrived this past Monday evening, and Felipe left on Wednesday. If all goes well, we will depart Nanny Cay tomorrow morning and start cruising the BVI in earnest.

On the trip south, we did not encounter the gales that I had experienced on my last passage to the BVI. But we did have our share of adversity, battling headwinds nearly the entire trip, enduring three different bouts of steady winds in the upper 20s with confused seas, and ghosting along through 60 hours of light winds while we conserved our limited fuel. All-in-all, the passage to the BVI was challenging and fun, though far from champagne sailing.
Continue reading

Posted in Home Page, Jeff's Blog | Leave a comment

Tropical Weather Forecasts in Text

As we make our passage to the Caribbean, our only long-range communications will be a Garmin InReach, which will provide text messaging capabilities (unless we get our SSB working, which seems unlikely given the time constraints). Without regular access to the internet and all the weather information that provides, I will be relying on Margaret to text me key weather information en route. In order to ensure that I get the information that I want and am familiar using, I am writing up some instructions for her and figured I would share them here. This first post is just about tropical weather forecast information that she will text me.

Though we are on the tail end of it, we are still in hurricane season at the moment. So I am particularly concerned about tropical weather and would like to keep an eye on it. Normally, I simply rely on the information provided by the National Hurricane Center. In particular, I regularly look at the 5-day tropical weather outlook, the tropical weather discussion, and the forecast discussion for any active tropical storms.
Continue reading

Posted in Home Page, Jeff's Blog | 3 Comments

Beauty to Beast: New London to Manhasset

Yesterday, from New London to Manhasset, started out lovely, but turned into a beast.

Right on schedule, we all raised our sails, dropped our moorings, and headed down the Thames into Long Island Sound. There was not much wind, but what there was of it had already shifted around to NNW. We – Bear, Jade, and Jabiroo II – all motor-sailed, kept in contact on the VHF, and fought the current on what was an exceptionally warm night, in the low 50s.

By 2am, with the genoa out and a double-reefed main, I finally turned off the engine. Over the next couple hours, our speed increased from the low 5s to the low 7s as the wind increased and the adverse current slacked. By 4am, I was starting to feel a little out of control and took the prudent measure of swapping the genoa for the staysail. That dropped my speed back into the mid-5s, but I felt a lot more comfortable, especially knowing that more breeze was on its way.
Continue reading

Posted in Home Page, Jeff's Blog | Leave a comment

New Episode Today! Exploring Cape Cod

We uploaded a new video today! Woohoo! In this episode, we explore Redbrook Harbor, transit the Cape Cod Canal, and go ashore in Provincetown!

Also, please check out our limited-time print sale.  We have several prints for sale and have added a donate button for our cruiser friends and others who are downsizing but still want to help us out.  Thank you for thinking of us!

Posted in Home Page, Jeff's Blog, Margaret's Blog | Leave a comment

Newport to New London with a Northwest Wind

I am writing this from the Thames River in New London, Connecticut, on a mooring just a hundred yards or so from Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor rail line. I made it in from Newport a little before five yesterday afternoon after a wild ride over.

Amtrak train through a salt-encrusted cockpit enclosure

The Amtrak train going by in New London through the glass of our cockpit enclosure, salt-stained because of the rough trip over from Newport.

Continue reading

Posted in Home Page, Jeff's Blog | 4 Comments

Getting Marine Diesel Engine Re-Power Estimates

After the catastrophic failure of our marine diesel engine – a phrase that mechanics we talked to used with regularity – we had no idea whether we would be able to get a re-power in time to go south for Margaret’s sabbatical as we planned. Not only were we unsure of whether we could afford to replace the engine, we had no idea how long a re-power would take.

The destruction of our engine happened on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, so it was unlikely we were going to get answers until Tuesday, which was, at that point, three long days away. I did make some calls to friends in the area who gave us recommendations for mechanics and yards. Almost everyone in Rockland seemed to recommend Pat Ricci at Thomaston Boat Works, a Volvo dealer. On Sunday morning I gave him a call, just thinking I would be leaving a message. But Pat picked up and kindly spent fifteen minutes telling me what were going to be some of the obstacles in the installation – footprint, space, transmission and our prop, etc. – and priced out a new Volvo install for us. With some 17k for the engine, he thought the total would be around 21-22k. He also thought someone would be able to do the re-power in a matter of a few weeks, if we could just find someone who was not overly committed. But Pat was backed up with work until at least November. I was grateful for the information.

Continue reading

Posted in Home Page, Jeff's Blog | Leave a comment

Sitting in Newport Making Plans

For those of you who missed my Facebook post yesterday, I had a sporty sail down Narragansett Bay to Newport and am now on a mooring tucked behind Goat Island.

The forecast continues to be relentless strong winds with a west component. Tomorrow, the winds are forecast to be northwest, which is the only west direction that I can even think about doing something with, because it will not be directly in my face . Beyond that, Sunday and into early next week should provide a better opportunity to make some westing through the Long Island Sound with some north-northwest. But, of course, that is a long way out, which would mean sitting here and entertaining the possibility that the forecast may shift.
Continue reading

Posted in Guest Posts, Jeff's Blog | Leave a comment