Margaret and I plan to blog about the last few days. We spent a day at City Island, transited the East River and Hudson, stayed at the 79th Street Boat Basin, and hung out all over NYC. But I just wanted to post a quick note now about our plans.
We are currently anchored off the western tip of Sandy Hook. If the weather forecast continues to hold, we will be departing tomorrow around noon for Cape May, 110 ocean miles to the south. Our plan is to stay about 3-10 miles offshore depending on the conditions, traffic, and portion of the coast we are passing through. We will take watches through the night and should arrive about twenty-four hours later. It promises to be an exciting trip.
The forecast – from passageweather.com and NOAA – has some light winds mainly from the north with a small chance of showers and thunderstorms. We also will have a bit of a residual swell of maybe 2-3 feet. This is a nearly perfect weather window, but may mean that we are motoring for a good portion of the trip because of the light breeze.
We will be sure to post on Facebook when we get in or if our plans change. Until then, keep your fingers crossed and, if you are along the Jersey Coast, keep an eye out for a beautiful Tayana 37 and her crew.